Grill Everything: CSA Summer ’15 ” Week #10 (EO-B)
Up until last summer, we did not own a grill. A friend ( and meat vendor from farmer’s market) expressed shock and disbelief when he learned this, and subsequently began a relentless campaign to persuade me to get one. Since he was a meat vendor, I sort of assumed his love of the grill was mostly for meat. I wrote him off for a while. But after intense pressure during the months of April and May, I finally acquiesced. For my birthday, Mike and I procured a used gas grill.
I have to say that our first summer with the grill was interesting, but it did not turn me into a convert. I was yet to realize its full potential.
Ah, but this summer – I have seen the proverbial flame. I am ready to sing its praises!
The grill is a magic device that turns chopped veggies into tender, yet crisp sweet morsels. All one needs is a grill and a grill basket. After some chopping and maybe a little mixing with oil and salt (or herbs or soy sauce or balsamic vinegar), just grill and voila a delicious side dish. It’s so easy.
And not only is it easy, but it really helps me savor a vegetable for its unique taste properties. You could literally grill your way through an entire box of CSA veggies.
Here’s some of my favorites: Grilled fennel; grilled broccoli, parboiled chopped beets that are then grilled; grilled zucchini; grilled eggplant; grilled scallions; grilled sweet onion; and grilled sweet corn. The grilled sweet corn is a new discovery. Just shuck the corn, grill it and then instead of butter, coat it with a lime mayo and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yummy!
So my message this week is simple. Grilling is not just for meat! Vegetables and grills can be great friends. If you haven’t discovered this yet, give it a try!
Enjoy your veggies!
Cassie, Mike, kiddos and crew
In the Box:
- Onion, Sweet White
- Sweet Corn
- Tomatoes, heirloom
- Tomatoes, slicer
- Green Beans
- Kale, Green Curly
- Head Lettuce
- Tomato, Corn, and Broccoli Panzanella
- Zucchini and Corn Fritters
- Lettuce and Cucumber Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing
- Kale and Summer Squash Fried Rice with Meat
- Summer Tomato Risotto
- Chocolate and Zucchini Cake
- Steamed Broccoli with Mustard Butter
- Southwestern Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad
- Cucumber and Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Chickpea Kale Soup
- Watermelon and Tomato Salad
- Zucchini and Onion Pizza with Herbed Butter
- Salad with Tomatoes, Zucchini and Carrot Ribbons, Fresh Mozzarella and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Skewered Scallops with Cucumbers and Basil
Wednesday, August 12th” EO Group B